Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Fruit Roll-ups

On July 19th, 2005, Michelle Shepps' 15 year old son ran away from home. He had chosen to live with his biological father. "To make this story short, I started custody proceedings the next day, and my son was back home with me three months later," Shepps said.


During the time, Shepps' son was with his father, she had heard a "For Your I Will" by Monica, a song in Space Jam starrin Michael Jordan, that she's "always liked, but hadn't paid too much to all the words until then." Shepps typed up the lyrics and looked for a picture to go along with them.

"I did an Internet search and found the perfect picture--a sketch of a woman holding her young child in her lap with her arms around him. I doodled around on my print workshop CD, and put the lyrics together with the picture, printed it out on photo paper," Shepps said. She then framed it in a plain black frame.

Shepps then continued to make the same keepsake gift frames as gifts for her coworkers at a day care center, where one of the ladies who had received the gift told her that she should sell these.

This was just the beginning for Shepps' business: Framed Expressions, http://www.framedexpressionsonline.com/ . She was even featured in the Lebanon Daily News.


Faten: After you had been given the idea of selling keepsake gift frames, when did you decide then to go into business?

Michelle: Although, I started this more than two years ago, Framed Expressions became official Septemeber 2006. I stated making business cards and brochures. I began participating in craft shows.

Faten: What is your artist life like?

Michelle:
It gets hectic at times--trying to juggle family life and building up my business. Somtimes it seems like I'm getting nowhere, and then all of a sudden, I get two or three orders at a shot.

Faten: How often do you work on your art?


Michelle:
Between working outside the home, family life, and trying to promote my business, and then working on orders when they come in, can be frustrating. So, no. I don't do my crafting every day.
Faten: Does your family support your work?

Michelle: My family, especially my husband, supports my passion very much. When I was in one of my slumps, I asked him if he thinks it's worth me trying to continue, and he asked me if I like doing what I do. Of course I love it, and so he said for me to just keep going!

Faten: What do you want people to know about your work?

Michelle:
I feel very passionate about what I do. I love to see the smiles when I give one as a gift, or when I give a customer their order. I love the feedback when I ask the customer "did they like their gift?" You can read a lot of the responses on both my myspace and my website. My business was born from a passionate love for my children. When I am working on a frame, I sort of become immersed in it, and I pay attention to every little detail. I check over it quite a few times before I'm satisfied and I seal it closed. I take great pride in what I do.

Faten: What do you hope to accomplish from your work?


Michelle:
Personally, I hope to be able to be a SAHM mom, or at least be able to work only a few days a week outside the home. Professionally, I have chosen an agency here in Lebanon, called the Sexual Assault Resource and Counseling Center of Lebanon County, to donate a certain percentage of my profits to. April is National Child Abuse Awareness month, and so every April I will be donating 10% of my earnings from throughout the previous year to this agency. I would love to, someday, (if I can overcome my fear of speaking in front of people) be a motivational speaker for either this group, or the Domestic Violence Intervention in our county, or both! I hope to accomplish letting other women know that they can overcome their hardships. There is so much you can accomplish when you put your mind to it and not succumb to circumstances.

Faten: What kind of advice can you give to a beginning crafter?


Michelle:
Keep your chin up! Network--join groups, be an active member in those groups, participate in shows. SMILE! Enjoy what you do and others will too. "Get your name out there" everywhere you can. Be patient. Listen to other's advice. You don't necessarily have to follow everyone's advice, but listen! You might overlook some very good advice if you don't listen.

Faten: How do you plan to grow as a crafter?


Michelle:
I know it's going to take a lot more patience to grow as big as I want to get, but so be it. I will keep working at it, and I WILL make it. Follow my own advice!

Michelle, a member of Moms United In Business, participates in different groups and associations. She is part of Cafe Mom . Locally, she belongs to http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/LebanonCountyPASmallBusiness/ and Community of Lebanon Association. Her myspace is www.myspace.com/framedexpressions feel free to add as a friend!

If you would like to receive news updates and special offers by email, please let me know. Write to Michelle at shelly012670@msn.com

1 comments:

Great Interview Ladies!

Lib
http://notmuchmore.blogspot.com

December 13, 2007 at 2:09 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Art